Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Out and about from KL

Wow, I'm not sure how it happened but despite my good intentions, it's been over two months since I was last on here.

Actually, I know exactly how it happened. You see, since late June, I have been on a plane at least once a week. Extravagant, some might say. But no, it's been all discount airlines for me! Busy? Definitely. And the affordable and relatively painless flights have really made me appreciate how brilliant KL's location is as a hub for travel through Asia.


So where have I been?

First there was a weekend away in Langkawi with The Boy and assorted friends. Despite almost missing our flight, it ended up being a brilliant holiday. Our second time there but we enjoyed it just as much, perhaps even more due to the social aspect. Highlight was the sunset cocktail/dinner cruise. But more on this another time.

Then my parents and sisters arrived from Sydney for a whirlwind visit, having already passed through Singapore to visit Brother no. 1. Following that, mama and I flew out late at night over to Japan (Kansai International Airport, Osaka) for a week of lazing and feasting with my grandparents. Overnight flights are never fun but at just over 6 hours, it was over by the time I had a little snooze and a bit of breakfast.


A couple of weeks later I was back at KLIA this time headed to Hong Kong for a long weekend to visit a toasty friend of mine from school days and also meet up with a dear work colleague on her stopover back from Europe. We were feeling very pleased with ourselves for planning such a clever international catch-up until Typhoon Vicente hit and we found ourselves stranded at the airport overnight.


By this time, we were into August and due to the colliding of stars and the mysteries of the universe, I booked an impulse flight back to Sydney to see my family and friends, who are not so near these days but still remain the dearest in my heart. On the way back I tried out Scoot for the first time - Singapore Airlines' budget carrier - even travelling up front in ScootBiz thanks to my darling mama purchasing a last-minute upgrade for me at the check-in counter.


I felt like I had literally unpacked my woefully insufficient clothes after my freezing Sydney encounter (yes Sydney does have winter) when I was zipping up the suitcase again, this time for a quick business trip with The Boy over to Singapore. We went there by Aeroline coach, which I've mentioned before, and came back on Jetstar, which I give a big thumbs up to if only because they fly to KLIA and not the infernal LCCT.

And now I am looking at my itinerary for yet more flights - this time The Boy is coming too as we head to Kota Bharu then onto the Perhentian Islands this weekend for some sunshine, blue skies and blissful beach time with friends.


After that my travel plans do dry up a little, although I'm still hopeful for a wee trip somewhere close in September or October - perhaps Penang, Langkawi (again) or even across the border to Chiang Mai or Koh Samui in Thailand? The Boy and I then have a trip together back to Sydney for an early Christmas as prices double in December/January. 

I can't believe how quickly this year is flying by. Looks like the other destinations on my Asia travel list - Vietnam, Taiwan, Cambodia, South Korea and more Thailand will have to wait till 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment