Thursday, March 29, 2012

Afternoon tea at Acme Bar & Coffee (ABC), The Troika

KL seems to me a city that is forever competing against the jungle it came from. And yet there are some spots where everything is neat and tidy - the pavements aren't cracking from the pressure of huge tree roots, there isn't any rubbish scattered around, trees and plants line up in neat rows, and even the blare of the traffic is in the distance, not right in your face. 


Persiaran KLCC is one such place and it is here I found myself one sunny Saturday afternoon. I was meeting a new friend at a fairly new cafe I had read so much about - Acme Bar & Coffee in The Troika building.


Approaching The Troika building on Jalan Binjai/Persiaran KLCC with the Petronas Towers in the distance.


Acme Bar & Coffee, or ABC, is as the name suggests, a cafe/bar. And it's a trendy one at that. I walked in and immediately felt at home with memories of great cafes in Sydney and Melbourne floating through my head.


The bar at ABC, its shelves lined with exotic blends of tea and bottles of Italian mineral water
Pretty flowers at the front desk


The rather industrial structure has been softened by abundant flowers, mirrors, lights and a rather pretty menu. It's the kind of place that's just perfect for you and a group of girlfriends during the day or a romantic late-night date for two.


Plenty of natural light prevents the place from feeling dark and cramped
Lights hang from the ceiling in a row, streetlamp style


The menu is enticing and had I not already eaten lunch, I would have been sorely tempted by the brunch/all-day selection, cutely named 'Too Late for Breakfast'. 




Instead, I decided to order a tea and a slice of apple and olive oil cake, having read a good review recently. The menu is on the pricey side with a cup of tea costing RM15++ and when it arrived, I was slightly disappointed that it was just a tea bag in a cup as for that price, I would have hoped for a teapot with proper tea leaves. Just as well the teabag was super adorable and the tea delicious. 


Storm in a C cup...White Ambrosia tea served in one of Acme's signature ABC cups


The cake didn't disappoint. It was on the slightly fluffy side of moist with a lovely apple flavour that was made decadent by the rich cream cheese icing on top and in the middle. 


Apple & olive oil cake at Acme Bar & Coffee
Dessert menu at Acme Bar & Coffee


As I enjoyed my cake, I found myself already mentally planning a return visit with a Sydney friend who is coming to stay and who I know would love this place. 


Acme Bar & Coffee has recently started offering a Sunday Brunch Buffet for RM99++ (RM199++ with free-flowing sparkling wine) which my friend had been to and enjoyed. It's on the pricey side like everything else on the menu but for a slightly special occasion or when you feel like a bit of a splurge, Acme is a good place to go.


I'm looking forward to going back to try one of their cocktails!


Details:
Acme Bar & Coffee
Ground Floor, The Troika
50450 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
www.acmebarcoffee.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment