Thursday, March 1, 2012

PH Pastry House

Going out for breakfast or brunch is one of my favourite weekend pastimes. Many a Sunday morning in Sydney has been whiled away at one cafe or another with my closest girlfriends, good coffee and delicious breakfast treats I would never allow myself to eat during the week for fear of doubling in size very quickly!

Still being a newcomer to KL, my network of new friends can best be called a 'work in progress'. But having just had quite a social weekend, I think things are looking up in that department. And yes, brunch did feature in aforementioned weekend of activity.

On a sunny (read: hot) Sunday morning, I ventured on foot to PH Pastry House to meet some girls from Expat Blog and hopefully make new friends. Located on the corner of Jalan Utara and Jalan Delima, PH Pastry House is only a couple of streets away from Bukit Bintang and close to Imbi market. It's a bakery restaurant set up in an old house that has been renovated to look modern and chic where you can get everything from coffee and breakfast items through to salads and main meals like pasta and meat dishes. Oh, and bread of course.

Inside PH Pastry House is spacious with lots of small tables dotted around on the dark wood floor as well as a bench counter running through the centre. At 11am on a Sunday it wasn't that full with just a few groups of people sitting around enjoying a leisurely breakfast or early lunch. There is also a courtyard out the back with a few tables and a peaceful water feature running along the wall. The restroom is also out here, and a very nice one it is too!

Back to food. The four of us sat down and a waitress immediately brought over menus. I ordered a cappuccino (8.90RM) and french toast with spiced apple and caramelised walnuts (11.90). The others ordered the Asian crab omelette and poached eggs with brioche (both 15.90RM), lattes (8.90) and an iced peppermint tea (7.90). 


The drinks arrived within a few minutes and I was pleased to find my cappuccino actually tasted like it had been made with a proper espresso machine! Amusingly, the girl who ordered an iced peppermint tea got a cup of hot peppermint tea plus a glass of ice.

The poached eggs arrived first and I have to admit it was a little disappointing. The brioche looked golden and inviting but there was just one egg, which looked rather small and forlorn sitting in its ramikin. Spinach and mushrooms completed the dish. 

Luckily, my french toast suffered no size issues. 3 thick slices of bread accompanied by 2 ramikins of spiced apple and caramel macadamias. Delicious.


I set about trying each of the condiments with my toast and can happily say there was plenty to go around. The texture and taste of the nuts with the bread was a bit weird for me and I ended up just spreading the delicious caramelly sauce on the toast and leaving half the nuts on my plate. Probably just as well given how much fat I was already consuming! The spiced apples reminded me of apple jam my mum used to make when we lived in England, and with a hint of cinnamon were a delicious topping for my french toast.


We sat there after we finished eating and just chatted for ages and the staff were happy to let us alone. They brought over a bottle of water and glasses without our having to ask which I was pleased about. 

All in all, a pleasant place for brunch and it left me wanting to go back again to try something else.

The breakfast menu is served from 7:30am to midday. Here are all the details:


PH PastryHouse,
54, Jalan Utara, Off Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2141-2208
Open 7:30am-9:30pm daily.


Here is their Facebook page. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment