Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sushi Zanmai, Fahrenheit 88 KL


Sushi is one of my favourite foods. I know it's a bit stereotypical, my being half-Japanese and all, but honestly I think I could live on the stuff.

I've been fortunate that over the past few years sushi has really taken off in Sydney and among the many (some of them unfortunately very average) conveyor-belt sushi places and tiny shops at stations, there are some real gems.

Since moving to KL, I've happily discovered that sushi, and Japanese cuisine in general, is popular here and Japanese restaurants are ubiquitous. I'm yet to go anywhere truly incredible but I have been making a point to try the various sushi train/conveyor belt outlets nearby. They are a good option when you're looking for something tasty, affordable and fast that's a little nicer to your waistline than McDonalds!

The best one I've tried so far that's walking distance from my place is Sushi Zanmai, tucked away in Fahrenheit 88 on Bukit Bintang. I like to browse the shops in Fahrenheit every once in a while and can usually find a new dress or top to buy - the shops makes a nice change from the likes of Suria KLCC and Pavilion and they're so cheap!

I paid a visit to Sushi Zanmai on my most recent browsing trip through Fahrenheit, though I actually first discovered it last year when I was visiting The Boy in KL before moving here.

As soon as you walk inside, you forget you are in a shopping mall. The restaurant is beautiful, done largely in black and white with muted lighting which gives a classy feel. Sit at the counter and you can see the fresh fish behind the glass where the sushi chefs are hard at work.

On my most recent visit I was only there for a quick bite quite late in the afternoon so the sushi train selection was quite sparse and I ended up ordering off the (very extensive) menu. Although Sushi Zanmai mainly offers sushi, you can also choose from a big range of other Japanese dishes like udon and soba noodles, donburi (rice in a bowl with topping like chicken or eel), tempura and bento (Japanese lunch boxes). 

I ordered aburi salmon, salmon roll and california roll, plus hot green tea (1RM) to drink. Every dish was beautifully presented, which is what really made it a memorable experience. 

Aburi salmon

Salmon roll

California roll
I think for the quality of food, the prices are very reasonable and the service was good too with staff attentive and all my dishes coming out quite promptly. 

I'll be going back there again soon to sample some more of their menu! 

Sushi ZanmaiLot No. 2-03
Fahrenheit 88
Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur
Website: http://www.supersushi.com.my/f88.html



No comments:

Post a Comment